The story begins in the 1820s…

…with the Steingraeber & Söhne piano factory in Thuringia. Eduard Steingraeber, from the second generation of the family, moved to Bayreuth in 1852. There, he combined ‘Viennese’ and ‘English’ actions to produce his ‘Opus 1,’ a revolutionary masterpiece. Steingraeber pianos have regularly been awarded international prizes since 1867, and in 1906, world-famous designers began to fashion piano cabinets for Steingraeber.

Udo Schmidt-Steingraeber, from the sixth generation of the family, has been head of the firm since 1980, with the seventh generation already waiting in the wings.

Three generations with dog: Gathered around Magdalene, the most-senior member of the family, are her grandchildren, Fanny and Alban, as well as the current heads of Steingraeber & Söhne, Cordelia and Udo Schmidt-Steingraeber. In this photo, taken in January 2014 on the occasion of our senior partner’s 97th birthday, you will see the Steingraeber ‘Liszt grand piano’ in the foreground and the founder’s ‘Opus 1’ masterpiece in the background.

Not only has the family tradition remained strong; so have recognition through international accolades, the company’s historic residence and, above all, the benevolence of distinguished artists worldwide. Steingraeber & Söhne also remains a leader at the cutting edge of new developments in the construction of world-class instruments.

History

Download here an overview (pdf file).

Menu