That is why our design and materials are constantly being optimized. We have our in-house computer programs, but we also
have standing partnerships with the Universities of Bayreuth and Erlangen, and with the Zentrum Neue Materialien in Bayreuth. The examples on this page show the pouring process in Bayreuth* and
the results of the examination under an electron microscope which follow each lot. (Here you see the hardening process in a pressure bar.)
The same is true for acoustic wood. It has been proven that only examination under microscope can guarantee the highest quality of woods. The photo (at left, below) shows a disqualifying crack from drying. Moreover, only the best spruce trees are purchased, those grown at min. 800 m (2,624 ft.) above sea level and sheltered from the wind for 150+ years. Of these, only 8% find their way into a piano, the remaining 92% being discarded!
*Speed equals quality in pouring iron. A Steingraeber concert grand frame takes exactly 19 seconds to pour, thus allowing the material to cool evenly.